Friday, July 18, 2008

Investing: Learn from Your Mistakes!

Blast from Past: My favourite investing articles.

Published on MSN Money back in 2003. Learn from your mistakes -- without going broke

  • Mr. Market doesn’t give scholarships. Making mistakes in investing is how you learn. The trick is learning to limit the costs of your mistakes.

    By Bill Fleckenstein

    In the investing business, it's very easy to misjudge things and then find yourself in a situation where something you expected to happen didn't happen or happened in a way different from what you expected. That is, you were wrong.

    Being wrong in this business comes with the territory. The real trick in the investment business is making sure that your mistakes don't kill you.

    Unfortunately, my experience has been that the way you learn is by making mistakes. It's the tuition you pay to Mr. Market, if you will. I have made every mistake imaginable, some more than once. But thanks to having done so, I make fewer of them now than I used to.

    Readers of my daily Market Rap column know that I stand behind my motto: "Often wrong, never in doubt." I have a lot of conviction, but I make plenty of mistakes. So, when you factor what I think into what you think, you should factor in the possibility that I might be wrong, and then consider how you will deal with that.

    Finding the way to control the risks
    I often am asked how I decide whether to be short a stock or own puts, or how I pick a stock to short in the first place. Often, I make my decision based on how best to control my risk. I rarely ever short a stock unless I think I have a specific catalyst that would drive the share price lower. Then, if I can find an inexpensive way to use put options, I do. Usually I can't, and I short the stock. If I am going into an earnings announcement or something like that, I find it much safer to own puts rather than to short the stock, but that is often not possible. To repeat, the idea is to find ways of controlling your risk so that, if you’re wrong, you don't get killed. Your winners tend to take care of themselves.

    Walking a fine line on whether to sell
    Let's take a second to talk about winners. One mistake that I’ve made in the past is, I get long a stock, and it turns out to be a big winner. At some point in the cycle of rising, it goes up faster than I anticipate or can understand. So, I sell it or begin selling too aggressively, and the next thing I know, I’ve been left behind.

    I think some people are going to do that with gold stocks. They’ll say that gold stocks have gone up too fast or they’re overvalued, or whatever. You might do that successfully once or twice, but it's very easy to wind up having lost your position. (Of course, there is a difference between a core position and a trading position that I use in something like gold.)

    But some people might now find themselves with too big a position in the metals; in that case, selling some to spare yourself angst is a wise decision. In managing a portfolio, you face a constant battle of controlling your risk while not wanting to cut off your winners too soon -- and while battling your own emotional baggage.

    Investing is a complicated subject even when done right. None of us has all the answers, and we all make mistakes.

    Despite my being constructive last spring, the present surge in the market has been bigger and better than I imagined. But I really couldn’t care less that the market is going up and I didn't catch it. The risk/reward has been all wrong, in my opinion (even though it has worked).

    It’s as if you’ve been playing poker and continually drawn to an inside straight. Odds say you lose, but if you do it and win, you’ll have made money even if the risk/reward was poor. And that’s been the story with the stock market.

    Down the road, I'll have an opportunity to buy stocks at reasonable prices, and everyone else will, too. You shouldn't have a lot of angst if a stock or a market with poor risk/reward characteristics went up "without you."

    I feel very strongly, as I have stated frequently, that this is a rally in a bear market and that the economic strength is transitory. Folks who want to be rational will find a juncture down the road to get long stocks, with a lot less risk.

    It’s OK to sit on cash
    In the meantime, while it's no fun holding cash that pays scant interest, you should take some solace in that you've got pretty good company. As an Oct. 27 Barron's interview with Warren Buffett recounted, it's what one of the world's greatest investors is doing. He’s sitting on $24 billion. Cash is not trash. People work so hard to earn it. But once they have it in their portfolios, they act as if it's going to give them a communicable disease. It’s not a disease to be gotten rid of as soon as possible. It does need to be cared for. I hope this little discussion of the fundamental and psychological variables inherent in the investment business is useful.

Hear that? Cash is not trash! And it's ok to sit on cash!

And here's more wise words said.

  • 1. I have always found it profitable to study my mistakes.

    2. If a man didn't make mistakes he'd own the world in a month. But if he didn't profit by his mistakes he wouldn't own a blessed thing.

    3. I was wrong; and the only thing to do when a man is wrong is to be right by ceasing to be wrong.

    4. The recognition of our own mistakes should not benefit us any more than the study of our successes. But there is a natural tendency in all men to avoid punishment. When you associate certain mistakes with a liking, you do not hanker for a second dose, and, of course, all stock market mistakes wound you in two tender spots - your pocketbook and your vanity. But i will tell you something curious: A stock speculator sometimes make mistakes and knows that he is making them. And after he makes them; and after thinking over it cold bloodedly a long time after the pain of punishment is over he may learn how he make them, and when, and at what particular point of his trade; but not why. And he simply calls himself names and let it go at that.

    Of course, if a man is both wise and lucky, he will not make the mistake twice. But he will make any of the ten thousand brothers or cousins of the original. The Mistake familiy is so large that there is always one of them around when you want to see what you can do in the fool-play line
    .

    5. Losing money is the least of my troubles. A loss never bothes me after i take it. I forget it overnight. But being wrong - not taking the loss - that is what does the damage to the pocketbook and to the soul.

    6. In addition to trying to determine how to make money one must also try to keep from losing money. It is almost as important to know what not to do as to know what should be done.



1 comments:

Avatar said...

A good post. Thanks for sharing, Moola.