Friday, October 17, 2008

The Snowball: Chapter 1 - The Less Flattering Version

Got my copy of The Snowball: Warren Buffett And The Business of Life

I have read the first few pages of the book and I have to say it out loud that I am totally impressed and I can understand why Warren Buffett has chosen Alice Schroeder to do the massive task of telling his incredible story.

Let me reproduce here just the last few passages of the very short Chapter 1 of the book and you can see how Alice writing style really reflects Warren.

  • He leaps out of his chair to bring home the thought, crossing the room in a couple of strides. Landing on a mustardy-gold brocade armchair, he leans forward, more like a teenager bragging about his first romance than a seventy-two-year-old financier. How to interpret the story, who else to interview, what to write: The book is up to me. He talks at length about human nature and memory’s frailty, then says, ‘Whenever your version is different from somebody else’s, Alice, use the less flattering version.’

    Among the many lessons, some of the best come simply from observing him. Here is the first: Humility disarms.

    In the end, there won’t be too many reasons to choose the less flattering version – but when I do, human nature, not memory’s frailty, is usually why.

0 comments: