Sunday, March 01, 2009

Reply To Comments On AirAsia Exceptional Losses

Posted yesterday Comments On AirAsia Exceptional Losses

Ah had a nice reply and it was nice for Ah to take the time and effort to reply me in detail.

Ah said...

  • On deferred tax, I did mention that it should be excluded from core earnings :)

    You mentioned "No one asked AirAsia to hedge on oil and no one asked them to fiddle with complex stuff as interest rate swaps"

    Actually fuel hedging is VERY COMMON for airlines. Almost all airlines hedge their fuel consumption. And in fact, if you monitor airline news closely, not long ago several Airlines warned for huge unrealised hedging loss. Perhaps you might wonder, why isn't MAS and SIA reporting HUGE unrealised hedging loss (they only reported realised heding loss)? This is actually due to accounting policy. SIA charged the unrealised loss to their reserve directly, while MAS on the other hand does not account for any unrealised loss. Note that accounting of derivative is covered under FRS139, which is still not compulsary in Malaysia yet. And hence AirAsia does not need to recognised the unrealised loss too. Then the question is.. why unwind the contracts and suffer a loss? Isn't that stupid? The reason is simple. If AirAsia doesn't unwind the contracts, they will be effectively paying higher fuel cost in FY09. For example, current oil price is roughly between 35-40, but given that they have hedged a portion of their consumption, they effectively need to pay a higher price for it. But after unwinding it, they basically enjoy the spot price in FY09. That's why i said they are doing some sort of bloodbath in FY08, to make FY09 looks pretty!

On fuel hedges, you then said.

  • You also quoted the news "AirAsia: No more bets on oil price" and wrote "January 2008 AirAsia siad no more bets on oil prices. November it took a rm218 million charges in losses. And yesterday it took another rm426 million hit!" If you recall, during that time AirAsia actually SHORT crude oil. I believe what the article meant was that AirAsia won't bet against the rise of oil price. And for FY08, they are actually hedging (long position)..not shorting.

Let me get this correct. I hope my understanding is correct on what you are saying here. Are you saying that AirAsia lost money SHORTING oil and they also lost money on the LONG side? That sums it up, doesn't it? Clearly the management does not know how to hedge their oil short or long. Would you agree?

Ok regarding the accounting treatment of the derivative. I am not an accountant so there is nothing much I can comment.

One thing though, MAS hedged its oil position at US$100 and on a Business Times article, MAS flies into turbulence

  • The airline, which had hedged about half of its fuel requirements for 2008, succumbed to hedging losses of RM216 million and foreign exchange losses of RM54 million in its fourth quarter.However, it did not make hedging losses for the full year. MAS has hedged about 64 per cent of its fuel requirements for this year at US$100 a barrel.

See how MAS said they only hedge for half? Why was AirAsia so aggressive in their hedging?

In my flawed opinion, it's the desire to get the market share, the want to be the market leader that is root of the problem.

Isn't this what is happening?

For me, I would think so.

To get the market share, they needed to be aggressive, aggressive marketing, expand, expand and expand. Which means more planes are needed. More routes. More countries. And ultimately more borrowing.

This was their chosen strategy in my flawed opinion.

And to succeed in it, they needed to find cutting edges. This is where the fuel hedges and the IRS came into play.

Regarding IRS, one interesting point. As you already know, this was mentioned yesterday by AirAsia.

  • The Group entered into interest rate swaps (some of which are capped) to hedge against fluctuations in the US-LIBOR on its existing and future aircraft financing for deliveries between Year 2005 and 2009. The effect of this transaction enables the Group to pay fixed interest rate of between 3.25% to 5.20% over a period of 12 to 14 years.

MAS on the other hand, reported the following. (see notes 10 b )

  • As at 19 February 2009 the Group has entered into various interest rate hedging contract transactions for periods up to 13 December 2016 for a total notional amount of RM2,344million. The accounting policy adopted is to charge the related expenses against the underlying expenses being hedged. The fixed interest rates relating to interest rate hedging contracts as at 19 February 2008 vary from 2.15% to 5.00% per annum.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Followings are just my opinion, which can be totally wrong. Feel feel to correct me.

Q: Let me get this correct. I hope my understanding is correct on what you are saying here. Are you saying that AirAsia lost money SHORTING oil and they also lost money on the LONG side?

A: Yes. They lost money shorting oil in early January 08. It was widely reported in Newspaper. Even Jeff Ooi blogged about it before: http://www.jeffooi.com/2008/01/airasia_while_the_skirt_gets_s.php
They subsequently reversed their short position, and started heding (Long) it again

And yes to your second question, as oil price has fallen <$40, they are making losses on their long position. As I mentioned before, it is a common practice for airlines to hedge (long) their fuel consumption

Q: Clearly the management does not know how to hedge their oil short or long. Would you agree?

A: I think they know what they are doing, and back in ealy '08, they were just speculating on oil price. But they got it wrong. Whether it's good or bad management, it's a very subjective issue :)

Q: Ok regarding the accounting treatment of the derivative. I am not an accountant so there is nothing much I can comment.

A: I'm not an accountant either. But to make any comments on fuel hedging or comparing airlines, it's good to get some basic ideas abt it. Or else your analysis might be incorrect.

Q: See how MAS said they only hedge for half? Why was AirAsia so aggressive in their hedging?

A: I do not know how much exactly AirAsia hedged, but as mentioned in my previous comment, MAS is NOT RECOGNISING any UNREALISED hedging loss. The hedging loss amount they reported are just "realised" losses. The key words here is UNREALISED and REALISED and it's good for you to have a basic idea of FRS139. I think, if MAS were to unwind their hedging contract (just like what AirAsia did), the loss they have to incur would be huge too.

Moolah said...

LOL!

Are you Ah or Ah Beng?

Will I get an Ah Lian reply in the future?

LOL!

Hope you can accept my raw humour there.

Anyway, I am truly sorry that my english isn't as par. For me, when someone gets it wrong, cleary they did not know what they are doing. Isn't this correct?

Let's say I tell you I know how to BBQ a duck but everything I cook it, the duck turns out so badly burnt or the duck's meat is uncooked inside.

Well, you can call me a bad cook or perhaps you can just tell me straight up that I do not know what I am doing.

So for me, my harsh opinion remains.

No matter what AirAsia got it all wrong with their hedging. They might have known the purpose, the reasoning and their justification for their hedging but at the end of the day, AirAsia has lost big bucks.

And since they have lost big bucks, I do believe I am entitled to be a bit harsh with my critism and insist that AirAsia management did not know how to hedge their oil.

I do hope that this is ok with you since this is my frank and flawed opinion on this matter?

Unknown said...

Haha. Ah = AhBeng :)

Actually..... I commented on your postings because I disagreed with your analysis. If you read my comments carefully, I've never said whether AirAsia management is good or bad. I do believe that many issues are subjective.

However, I do hope that you understand that fuel hedgings (long position), IRS and forex forward contracts are common instruments used by the airline industry. In a certain way, I feel that some (not all) of your comments are unfair to AirAsia. Of course, you have every right to be harsh to AirAsia, as afterall this is your blog!

I do respect your view and I actually agreed with some. I'm just here to point out some comments which in my opinion are "technically" incorrect.

:)

Jasonred79 said...

I am an accountant by my uni degree, so let me say this:

the entire accounting world is confused on how to treat derivatives. Even the basic tenets of "mark to market" and "prudence" and "full disclosure" are not being enforced properly.

...

As for the long oil positions, you cannot blame airasia... those were scary times, and some people were projecting oil to hit $200. In fact, IIRC, all airlines basically were forced to assume SOME level of long oil positions in order to show proper risk management by that point.

Let me also point out this: these exceptional items truly are EXCEPTIONAL items... this level of volatility in oil prices seems almost unprecedented, though I haven't checked it myself. If oil makes movements like this on a regular basis, I think that a lot of businesses also go kaput liao.

However, what I find stupid is how HEDGING is meant to be a SAFEGUARD to reduce risk... and Tony seems to have turned forex hedging and oil hedging into some gambling mechanism to INCREASE risk. Even the indians are calling him a blardy keling, lol!

Moolah said...

Beng and Jason,

I thank both of you for your valued comments.