Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Liverpool 4 Arsenal 2

Did not sleep well, hence I decided to switch on the TV to watch the Champions League match between Liverpool and Arsenal.

Sixty minutes had been played and the score flashed Liverpool 1 Arsenal 1!

WOW!

Another 1-1? 4 times in a row?

Could it be?

The stats flashed that Diably had opened the scoring before Hypia equalised for Liverpool.

Less than 10 minutes later I was rewarded with a superbly taken goal. A route-one clearance from Reina bounced deep into the Arsenal terrority. Why wasn't the Arsenal defenders attacking (defending) the loose ball and worse still the ball was headed towards the Spanish tornado, Torres.

I counted four Arsenal defenders around Torres and I immediately thought it was yet another typical movement where they had Torres chasing after loose balls. What a waste of talent I thought.

Boy was I wrong.

Swiveling and checking back in one movement, Torres struck an incredible shot past Almunia!

Liverpool 2 Arsenal 1. Game over, I thought!

A couple of minutes later Adebayor was put through and on a one-on-one situation, he sliced the ball wide. Ade-Samson-Bayor, oh boy, you should not have cut your beautiful hair!

But then came redemption.

Of a corner, Gerrard had a chance to riffle in a long range shot but Theo stole the ball from him. I thought Gerrard was looking out of sorts then. Theo broke out. From his own half, Theo sprinted right for the Liverpool goal. For a a minute I thought I was watching Thiery Henry. Theo rode four challenges and I actually thought he might finished his incredible move by scoring. But no, he laid the ball across for Adebayor to get a chance for redemption. And Adebayor duly replied by tucking the ball neatly into the Liverpool net.

Liverpool 2 Arsenal 2!

That goal should have been good enough to win any matches, especially in a pulsating match like this.

But no. Life is never kind, for Arsenal at least.

Straight from the kick-off, Liverpool attacked Arsenal left wing again. That was sensible move because Arseanl was missing Sagna, who I thought was their better players this season. Kolo Toure playing at right back was simply clumpsy as he clearly barged Ryan Babel down in the penalty box.

And Gerrard put Liverpool ahead again by striking home the penalty.

Game over.

No way Arsenal could recover and a couple minutes later Babel scored Liverpool fourth of the night.

What a match.

Liverpool will now play Chelsea again in the semis.

Notes: From the match reports I read, Arsenal had an incredible start of the match and I guess things changed when Flamini left the match in the 40th minute due to injury!

3 comments:

KP said...

Are you sure you couldn't sleep?

Or you just love to watch Liverpool play? :P

Moolah said...

I have been asking myself these two questions all day!

:P

KP said...

It must be a sign from above.

Tonight you will sleep very soundly. :P