Friday, May 22, 2009

Workaround The "Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site

This blog was getting the error "Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site . . . Operation aborted" when using the IE 7.

Google brought me to this site.
http://aralbalkan.com/912 which had the same problem. Here is the snap shot showing the error.


I played around all morning and I found an alternative fix that works. A fix without installing Internet Explorer 8.

I moved the Followers Of The Bog widget right to the bottom and viola the 'error' stop showing!

LOL!

Don't ask me why. :p2

So if your blog is also getting the pest, want to give this a try? :D

See also posting made this morning: Why do I receive an "Operation aborted" error message when I visit a Web page in Internet Explorer?

5 comments:

Harwinder Singh said...

I got the same problem on my blog today. Googled around but couldn't figure out the root cause or a solution.

I didn't have a problem on the main blog page (http://deepfriedbrain.blogspot.com) but most individual 'post' pages.

Then started playing around with the options and figured that if I turned off comments "Embedded below post" option (and chose "Full page" instead), the problem went away.

I have been able to consistently reproduce the problem by turning on comments "Embedded below post" option. So, if a blog uses this option, turning it off might fix the problem.

Moolah said...

Brian,

Many thanks for your suggestion.

However, my blog settings were set with comments shown as 'Full Page'.

My problem went away when I moved 'Followers of The Blog' widget right to the bottom.

Don't understand why.. but .. hey it works.

:D

Moolah said...

And here's something even more strange!

Moved the 'followers' widget back up and the error is gone.

!!!

Which means this error came and went!

!!!

Catherine said...

Excellent! This was a quick fix for what I thought was a major problem!

I moved the followers down into the footer, and 'VOOLA' the site would opening again.

Odd why that would happen though.

Moolah said...

Catherine,

Glad this workaround helped you.

I am just as puzzled because I am sure that you would have noticed the 'followers' widget has been moved back up on my blog and the error has disappeared.

btw. this 'error' does not show up on firefox and using ie8 did not help me either the other day.

Love your blog! :D