Friday, April 11, 2008

Review Of Bursa Station - Day II

This morning I decided to test out the charts functions on Bursa Station.

Opening the chart is slightly faster than others.

To open the chart, I laid my cursor over my selected stock, Bursa, and then I clicked on Interactive Chart and a pop up window of the chart appears.

The charts options are clear and neatly laid out.


My first impressions. The chart appearance is rather plain, too plain in fact with no options to change the layout with colors. The only adjustable is the fonts setting which I thought was rather pointless. The chart is provided by ShareInvestor.

Now to play with it.

The chart comes with a duration setting. And I am impressed that it has a 20 year option. Which means that the chart can be viewed right from the start.

So I decided to click on the 20 year option for Bursa, despite knowing the fact that the stock did not exist so long ago.


I then change the option to a six month view.

On the right, there is a view option and the default option shows a daily time frame. The very first option is the 5 min tick charts. And the default option is 2 days. I opted for a 30 day view of the 5 min tick chart.

Next, I chose the 1 week 5 min tick chart for this stock.


The other options it has for the min tick charts are the 5, 10 and 30. No 15 mins ticks. And then it offers hourly ticks for the 1, 2 and 4 hours.

Next I decided to use the comparison charts function.

Firstly, I change candlesticks option to simple line chart. Then under the drop down option, I decided to compare Bursa versus Public Bank.

Here is the 6 months comparison view.



The blue line would represent Bursa, while the red line represents Public Bank.

I then chose the 5 year comparison chart since Bursa did not exist earlier than this time frame.


Looking ok so far but I have one major grouse.

On most other live interactive charts, when the user mouses over the candles on the charts, the charts displays that day trading stats, like the day's trading highs and lows and opening and closing day prices. Bursa Station chart does not offer this option.

Another thing is the user does not have the option to zoom into a particular area within a time frame. Other charting portals have this option.

Next, the biggest concern for users of charts is the accuracy.

I then decided to see if Bursa Station's charts adjusts for stock splits and bonus issues.

One that had a bonus + rights issue was AZRB.

As can be seen on the chart above, this charting software shows a non-price adjusted chart. Some likes it because it shows clearly the exact stock price before the stock is adjusted for the bonus and rights issue. And since AZRB had a bonus issue first, there was an initial huge gap at the 3.00 region and then it had a rights issue, which caused the other gap at around the 1.80 mark.

However, some would prefer the adjusted stock chart and Bursa Station does not offer one.

That's all for now.

(Day 2 connection - the portal started off smoothly. No hitch and so far, connection is stable.)

0 comments: